Software Test Plan is a high-level document that describing the testing scope and activities. It is the basis for formally testing any software/product in a project.
ISTQB Definition – “A document describing the scope, approach, resources, and schedule of intended test activities. It identifies amongst others test items, the features to be tested, the testing tasks, who will do each task, the degree of tester independence, the test environment, the test design techniques and entry and exit criteria to be used, and the rationale for their choice, and any risks requiring contingency planning. It is a record of the test planning process.“
IEEE 829 STANDARD Test Plan Template
1. Test Plan Identifier – Provide a unique identifier for the document.
2. Test Deliverables – Test deliverables are —
Test Plan (this document itself)
3. Introduction – In this activity, Test Lead provide an overview of the test plan, Specify the goals/objectives and specify any constraints if present.
4. Test Items – List of the software versions.
5. Environment Needs – List of testing tools and Specify the properties of test environment: hardware, software, network etc
6. Features to be Tested – Provide references to the Requirements and/or Design specifications of the features to be tested.
7. Responsibilities – List the responsibilities of each team/role/individual.
8. Features not to be Tested – List the features of the software/product which will not be tested and also specify the reasons these features won’t be tested.
9. Staffing and training needs – Specify staffing needs by role and required skills, also Identify training that is necessary to provide those skills, if not already acquired.
10. Approach Schedule – Provide a summary of the schedule, specifying key test milestones, and/or provide a link to the detailed schedule.
11. Item pass/fail criteria – Specify the criteria that will be used to determine whether each test case has passed or failed testing.
12. Risks and contingencies – List out the risks that have been identified and Specify the mitigation plan and the contingency plan for each risk.
13. Suspension and resumption criteria Approvals – Specify criteria to be used to suspend any testing activity and Specify testing activities which must be redone when testing is resumed.
Sample Test Plan
Download Sample Test Plan document from Here! (Sample Test Plan Document)