WebDriver is one of the most powerful and popular tools of Selenium toolkit. Webdriver can be used to automate web projects only. You can’t use selenium toolkit to automate the desktop application or middleware application testing.
Webdriver comes with many advantages over Selenium IDE and Selenium RC.
1. Selenium IDE – Selenium IDE is a firefox plug-in which deals with and playback mechanism. You can use it to create simple and plain HTML script.
If you liked this video, then please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more video tutorials.
3. Selenium Webdriver – Selenium web driver or Selenium 2 advent after selenium RC. In these days it the most popular and highly demanding automation tool.
Basically, Webdriver is an interface and it is designed to overcome the limitations of selenium RC. Webdriver is open source and free available testing tool which is used to test the web and mobile applications.
Selenium 2 supports most of all browsers to run your test cases and many programming languages like C#, Java, Python, Ruby, .Net, Perl, PHP, etc.. to create and modify your test scripts.
Difference between WebDriver and selenium RC
- Selenium WebDriver does not require selenium server to execute a test.
- WebDriver controls the browser from OS level.
- Webdriver is fast then RC because it communicates with browser directly.
- WebDriver interacts with page elements in a more realistic way.
- WebDriver supports the web as well mobile application testing so you can test mobile applications (iPhone or Android).
- RC required selenium RC server for running test.
- Selenium RC supports only web application testing.
- RC doesn’t support of moving mouse cursors.
- RC is slow in execution as compared to Webdriver.
So If you are not good in any programming language then it is recommended to have look at Core Java Tutorials first. We will use Java programming language to explain and design the examples, It is also recommended to have a look either JUnit Tutorial or TestNG testing frameworks Tutorial first before start selenium.