Let’s see, What is Load Testing? Load testing is Non-functional testing. Load testing is the type of software testing which is conducted to understand the behavior of the application under a specific expected load. Load testing is performed to determine a system’s behavior under both normal and at peak conditions.
What is Load Testing
It helps to identify the max operating capacity of an application as well as any bottlenecks and determine which element is causing degradation. E.g. If the number of users is increased then how much CPU, memory, and other resources will be consumed, what are the network and bandwidth response time.
Load testing can be done under controlled lab conditions to compare the capabilities of different systems or to accurately measure the capabilities of a single system.
Examples of Load Testing
Downloading many files or a series of large files from the internet.
Running multiple applications on your computer or server simultaneously.
Assigning many tasks to a printer in a queue.
Subjecting a server to a large amount of e-mail traffic.
Writing and reading data to and from a hard disk continuously.
Need of Load Testing
Some extremely popular sites have suffered serious down times when they get massive traffic volumes. E-commerce websites invest heavily in advertising campaigns, but not in Load Testing to ensure optimal system performance, when that marketing brings in traffic.
Kindly Consider the Following Examples –
- Popular toy store Toysrus.com, could not handle the increased traffic generated by their advertising campaign resulting in loss of both marketing dollars, and potential toy sales.
- An Airline website was not able to handle 1+ Million users during a festival offer.
- Encyclopedia Britannica declared free access to their online database as a promotional offer. They were not able to keep up with the onslaught of traffic for weeks.
Why Load Testing?
- Load testing gives confidence in the system performance.
- Load Testing helps identify the bottlenecks in the system under heavy user stress scenarios before they happen in a production.
- Load testing gives excellent protection against poor performance and accommodates complementary strategies for performance management and monitoring of a production environment.