Let’s see, How can you Install Andriod SDK on Windows?
Android is an OS for mobile devices developed by Google, which is built upon Linux kernel. The Android Software Developer Kit, simply named as Android SDK.
Android SDK is software development kit which enables you to create applications for Android platform. For example, if you want to create the app for android phone, you need to be installed Android SDK with Java programming. Also, it provides the ability to create emulators to test newly created apps.
What is the need of Android on Windows?
First, let’s understand why you need Android set up on your machine. You know very well you will keep your APPIUM on your machine and use APPIUM to execute the Test Scripts.
APPIUM can communicate to the external device (Phone or Table) only on if you have Andriod installed on your local machine. To execute the Test Case using APPIUM, first, you need to make sure your local Android is detecting your phone properly.
Download & Installed Andriod on Windows
Before downloading the Android on your machine, First make sure java is configured & installed on your machine. To verify the Java installation to command prompt and type the command java -version .
It will tell you your java version if java is already installed on your machine. If Java is not installed on your machine then go to google and find how to install JDK on windows and Install the Java. Like if I will fire the java -version command from my machine, it tells me my java version.
The second thing is Download and Install the Eclipse on your machine. I am using Eclipse Luna and Java 8.
To configure the Android on your machine, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps –
1. Download the Android SDK Tools from Here!.
2. You don’t need to download the Andriod Studio. It’s for android developers, We don’t need it. So, Go the-the bottom of the page where you will find the text ‘SDK tools package‘.
3. Download android-sdk_r(Version number)-windows.zip link e.g. android-sdk_r24.4.1-windows.zip as shown in bellow image.
4. After Download this .zip file. Put this ZIP file in your drive, where you have 20-30GB space on the disc to space to store files.
5. Extract this ZIP file. After unzip you will get the new folder with name android-sdk_r24.4.1-windows . For your easy, you can rename it to android-SDK .
6. Now we need to configure our Environmental Variable for Android.
7. Go to your My Computer properties -> Advance System Setting -> Environment Variables.
8. Now create a new System variable named ANDROID_HOME and variable value should be your SDK location for me it’s like – D:\Softtware\android-sdk .
9. After add system variable it will look like.
10. Now Edit you path variable. Append the value in path variable %ANDROID_HOME%/tools . So you are providing the path of tools.
11. You have configured your environment variables.
12. Now open a Fresh command prompt and type command android . After this, you will get Andriod SDK Manager screen. It means Andriod is correctly configured on your machine.
13. Now you need to select packages, What you want to install on your machine.
14. Generally, you can select the packages on the basis of your device Andriod version but as a Test Engineer, you need to test the application on various versions. So I recommend selecting all options.
15. Select Tools check box it will select all Tools available in the SDK.
16. Select Android N, Android 6.0 or select your device corresponding version like my phone Android version is 5.1 so I will select Android 5.1.1 .
17. Now click on the button “Install packages” It will start to download the packages on your machine.
18. Click on “Accept Agreement” and click on “Install” button.
19. It may take time, it depends on your internet speed. It may take 20-30 mins on 20MBPS network.
20. Now you have done. Installation is over. After installation, your SDK Manager will look like below attached screen.